Week 21 – ups and downs this week
So much going on. So much. Which, I guess, is the norm as you get to the end of a renovation project. Some of it was planned, some of it was not so planned and we had one emergency. I apologise ahead of time because this will probably be a very long post full of lots of words as well as pictures.
First, the “emergency”. We no longer have a fence between ourselves and our neighbours. They needed to bring a digger in to make a hole for their concrete base (side extension). The digger did two things – knocked over our concrete posts (which they’ll have to replace) and cut through the electrical wire which comes to both of our houses. So, we got an emergency call at 9pm about this. The electrical company found a problem with our electricity while fixing this cut and so, took away our electricity. Yup, our renovation is without electricity until our contractor can produce an electrical certificate. Now – the electricity was only connected to an extension cord at the time, so any fault is not in the wires in our house (they are not connected). We’re not sure where a fault might be coming from unless it’s from the base unit or from the wiring coming into the house. Yikes. Expensive. In addition, the contractor is not in a position to provide an electrical certificate for at least 2-3 weeks (as he’d have to install all the outlets/lights, etc and test them before he could get a certificate). So, my contractor is going to have to bring a generator to supply the guys with electricity. Boo.
Another thing that has made life a bit difficult is that it seems as if the guys have lost some stuff – they couldn’t find the legs to our range cooker, the specialist bathroom recessed lights and some screws necessary to put the kitchen together (as well as instructions in how to put it all together). I know our contractor is a bit pissed off at them for not being more organised (he stops by but he’s not there all the time). I’m not paying for anything they can’t find.
On the positive side, our flooring is in. They will still have to sand and wax it, but it looks good. I like the pattern they used (from what I can see so far). A lot of the painting has happened. And they have begun to put our kitchen together. It will happen. It will all come together.
And now, the pics (with a few words):
Our current house is being over-run with boxes. We have ordered lights, switches and plugs for the first and second floors (ground floor will be another time).
Finishing work on the plastering.
Our sliding doors have been installed – the bottom roller still needs to be applied and it needs handles (which we’ve purchased) but I like them. They will provide light straight through as well as a sound/smell barrier between the living room and kitchen.
The kitchen furniture and appliances are finally being put in place. It really allows us to see how much space as well as storage in the new kitchen. It’s going to be amazing.
As you can see, the kitchen furniture is on its way to being placed and fixed. Guess they figured out how to do it and found screws. They didn’t seem to find the legs for the oven though…boo!
One of the guest bedrooms after one coat of paint – the fireplace will be repainted.
The other guest bedroom – this fireplace will also be painted. Neither fireplace will work – only decorative.
First coat on the master bedroom.
We’re looking forward to seeing continued work on the kitchen, more painting, etc. It’s so exciting to see if all coming together despite the various setbacks.